Heading to Chicago
September 13-17, 2007
Laurie, Molly and I flew out to Chicago on Thursday, September 13, so she could arrive in time for the beginning of "O Week" at the University of Chicago on Saturday. Getting there early gave us a much needed chance to visit in LaGrange with my brother Tom, his wife Heather and their boys Matthew and Shawn, whom we don't see nearly enough; as well as getting all the last minute things that Molly would need for her dorm room.
After Heather stuffed us full of french toast and bacon, we headed out to the stores for pillows, lamp, and other needed knick-knacks.
Then we stopped in for take out from a wonderful restaurant downtown called Grapevine Mediterranean Marketplace and Cafe. Then we headed downtown to make a stop at the University and learn our way around, and then on to the Chicago Navy Pier
The Navy Pier has boat rides (Matt and I are standing in front of one of the two tall ships that set sail from the pier, which also has cruise boats), a huge carousel and ferris wheel, a stained glass museum, many shops and restaurants, a ball room, etc.
Out at the far end of the pier, which had by far the best views of the city, the wind changed dramatically, and what had seemed like a calm summer day felt more like the beginnings of a fall gale.
Inside the Navy Pier building, a timeline of important Chicago events was posted, and Molly found several that related to her new school.
And lest we forget our other college student, there were signs to point the way!
After a great Mexican meal in LaGrange, we hit the sheets early, so we could arrive at school and begin settling Molly in. Once we arrived, it was time to unload: 7 suitcase, 4 boxes we'd shipped, a guitar, plus all the purchases of the day before.
Somehow we got it all inside, and Molly found her room; her "house" was using a Pokemon theme for the week. Some things just keep coming back to you, don't they!
Well, somehow we managed to let her go through the gate into the college after President Zimmer's convocation speech, and then headed back to LaGrange for dinner with Tom and Heather.
Sunday Laurie and I took the train into town and went to the Latin Mass at St. John Cantius church.
After dropping our bags at our hotel for the night, we headed down to Millenium Park, looking firstly for a deep-dish pizza restaurant (which we never found, despite a map and directions from the concierge at the hotel) and the Celtic Fest where we listened to most of a set by Fingal before heading off to visit the great Bean of Chicago.